We were looking for a chicken dish to make and we decided on a Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe and we ended up making this super easy and fast concoction. It was by far one to the best we have ever had! We enjoyed our Chicken Enchilada’s one so much that we also made a Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole in the same week. (coming soon)
5-6 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless and chopped
1.5 tbsp grape seed oil
1 vidalia onion, diced fine
1-1/8 tsp cocoa powder
16 oz tomato sauce
3/4 cup lager beer or chicken stock
1 tsp Mexican oregano
2/3 cup pickled jalapeno peppers
1 tbsp chipotle pepper
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
10 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated and halved for the top
6-8 Corn tortilla’s (handmade tortilla’s)
1. Place your skillet on the stove and turn to medium high add oil and let it get hot. Add your onion and saute for a 5 minutes then add your garlic and stirring constantly for about 30 seconds. Add the cumin, coriander, sugar, salt and cocoa powder. Stir to coat the onions.
2. Add your chopped chicken and stir to coat. Add tomato sauce, lager beer and Mexican oregano then cook until chicken is cooked through about 8-10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350′ with rack in the middle position.
3. Take the chicken off the heat then strain tomato sauce off the chicken. Add chicken to a bowl and then place it in the refrigerator or freezer for about 10-20 minutes to cool the chicken. Add the jalapeno peppers, chipotle pepper, cheddar cheese and cilantro. Stir to combine. Time to build our casserole.
4. Use a 9×7 Pyrex pan. Spray with pan release and add a layer of tortilla’s and then add the chicken mixture and layer until your run out of chicken. We had 3 layers of tortilla’s and chicken.
5. Carefully pour tomato sauce on top of the last chicken layer if the sauce floats on the top just lightly move chicken away from the sides of the pan so the sauce can seep into the casserole. Top with the rest of the cheddar cheese. Bake at 350′ for about 35 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Top with cilantro, onions, radishes, cabbage and or sour cream. What would you add to this Chicken Enchilada Casserole recipe?
Share Your Favorite Recipes with Us!